Social and Human Science Sector, aims at advancing knowledge, and intellectual cooperation with other UNESCO sectors in order to facilitate social transformation for development. The main objective is to create social awareness by promoting the incorporation of social views, priorities and active participation in setting up projects and programmes in UNESCO’s areas of competences and national development activities.
Social and Human Science sector focuses on;
- Building social capacity through training and skills development,
- Developing and implementing leadership programmes,
- Supporting young people’s education through resource mobilization,
- Facilitating social research, advocacy and influencing policy on issues affecting the society , and
- Promoting networking and exchange programmes with organizations and individuals committed to giving a chance in life to society.
Programmes implemented in the sector include;
- Youth and HIV/AIDS Programme,
- Gender Equality,
- Advancement of Human Rights,
- Physical Education and Sports,
- Associated Schools Project Network (ASP-net) and UNESCO Clubs